So with the loss of my laptop I’d like to get a handle on the current state of affairs for laptops. Since ‘jboat‘ was my primary work platform I’d need to replace it with something that could cut the mustard.
Read on for specs. I’d love to hear recommendations, what do you think would fit the bill? Otherbloggers, feel free to trackback to this, I’d like to hear from other folks as well.
My ideal laptop would really need to have…
The really important stuff:
- At least 512meg of RAM, upgradeable to 1024meg
- At least a 1.2gig CPU.
- 30gig of HD space
- DECENT battery life (4+ hours)
- GREATER than 1024×768 onscreen resolution.
- A touchpad mouse
- A good docking station
- Cost less than $1000 (dreaming, I know, but I have to start somewhere
- Be able to run Linux without really having to fight with it, ala, a supported platform.
Stuff I’d -like- to have, but isn’t critical:
- An internal wireless (802.11g) card
- CDRW drive
- DVD drive
I’ve looked at some of the Dell machines, but I worry that they seem sort of flimsy. I could just be used to the rock-solidness of the Thinkpad, or just be an old fuddyduddy.
So whatdya think?