So I’m getting ready to make the jump away from Verizon, and it looks like we’re going to be going with a GSM-based provider. I’d like to see a picker / selector for GSM phones that lets me pick phones based on criteria.
Anyone know of such a beast?
My baseline criteria is:
- Does not run a Microsoft OS
- Is not an iPhone
- Is not a PalmOS Treo.
- Has a full Bluetooth stack – including A2DP, various HID profiles, etc
- I’d prefer a full keyboard, but I can wiggle on that
- Music support, with open formats (I can put my own MP3’s on it)
- Very good Bluetooth ‘modem’ capability. Want to use it as a data gateway for my laptop
- At least a few games. The only game I really play on my Treo anymore is Sudoku. I think that may be a dead requirement on any replacement device.
My current top contender is the Nokia N95-3 (the North American version). Pricing is down to about $300 (the -3 is a slightly ‘older’ version, but has a removable Micro-SD slot – pretty good for loading music and other stuff on it), but I want to make sure I’m not missing out on something. (Oddly, I can’t find that price on Amazon now. I’ll keep looking).
One possibility is going with a fairly cheap, capable Bluetooth enabled handset now – no music, games, etc, but able to function as a phone and a GSM modem, and look toward an Android based solution in the next 6 months.