With a nod to Jeff Foxworthy, I hereby present a couple ideas on how to tell if you might be an old-fart geek fogie…
- If everytime you hit CTRL-ALT-DELETE, you expect to see Sidekick pop up for a second.
- If you ever owned a a paper punch specifically for double-siding your floppy disks.
- If you remember your amazement at copying a diskette using ONLY four disk swaps.
- If you find yourself thinking that a Telebit Trailblazer would really speed up your internet use.
- If you ever rented a truck to get a computer that someone was ‘just giving away’.
- If you have to fight the urge to make FWEEEEE SCHHRRKKKRRRK noises whenever you hear an ATM or a Fax machine in use.
- If you have ever uttered the phrase “Yeah, but the Newton was better.”
- If you refuse to throw out disks for machines that haven’t been manufactured in over two decades.
- If you know what ^X^Cc means.
- If you remember the first time you bought a color monitor. Double points if you’re still paying for it. Special bonus points if you still have it.
- If you find yourself in the middle of a problem, and being tempted to type ‘S..TILTOWAIT’
- If you have ever personally owned an entire DEC documentation set, and thought it was the coolest thing in the world.
- If you remember getting your first hard drive, and amazing your friends with comments like “This thing can hold as much data as FIFTY floppy disks!”
- If you remember when disks WERE floppy.
Feel free to contribute any additions you might think of…